Monday, October 27, 2008

John's Words of Wisdom Week 4

Hey Dv Team,

I hope you all was able to get some rest this weekend. I sure didn't. lol This week in John's Words of Wisdom I would like for you all to take a close look at this documentary about the Freedom Rides of the civil rights movement I found on youtube.

In 1947, the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) planned a "Journey of Reconciliation," designed to test the Supreme Court's 1946 decision in the Irene Morgan case, which declared segregated seating of interstate passengers unconstitutional. An interracial group of passengers met with heavy resistance in the upper South. Some members of the group served on a chain gang after their arrest in North Carolina. The Journey of Reconciliation quickly broke down. Clearly the South, even the more moderate upper South, was not ready for integration.

Also, I would like for you all to provide your thoughts on the second video I found on youtube as I was searching for videos. I thought it would be a good discussion topic for John's Words of Wisdom this week. Let me know what you all think?


The steps to completing John's Words of Wisdom are below:

1. Read Articles Below and check out this website: http://www.watson.org/~lisa/blackhistory/civilrights-55-65/freeride.html

2. Watch the videos below.

Video 1

Video 2


3. Click on the John's Words of Wisdom link above.

4. Reply or Comment to the Blog and Explain in 2 paragraphs your thoughts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

while watching the video i saw how we was treated back then and also how whites was treated better the wee was. Doing the video I wonder why segrations was all about blacks been seperated from the whites. We was force to sit in the back of the bus and whites seat in the front. When the vedio stated that blacks was seperated I though about what Rosa Parks do about the blacks sitting in back of the bus on there way somewhere and when Martin Luther King Jr. help change the way the blacks was getting treated I know that he was going to bring a change to the community. Watching the vedio help me realize that if it wasn't for them two we will be in segration right know.